PELE INKLINGS

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hard Work

"Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them." 
– Ann Landers




It's not a fun concept...hard work. But I was raised not to shy away from it. My parents are both hard workers, and they have definitely passed that on to me. As a little girl, I worked hard at school; today, I work hard at the studio.

As an artist, I've always been somewhat surprised and slightly offended that many people think my job is easy. I first noticed this in high school, where weighted GPAs placed more value on AP math and science classes than on AP art classes. This continued into college. I would hear non-art school folks comment on how easy art school must be...how nice it would be not to have to work or study so hard. Meanwhile, I was spending three times the hours in my classes as they spent in theirs and doing just as much (if not more) "homework".

The idea of magically becoming a success overnight or simply having rewards fall into your lap is foreign to me. The journey, the hard work, is what prepares us for success and builds a foundation of appreciation. I value hard work. Despite my failures and times where it has not panned out, I fundamentally do believe that hard work pays off. Although, perhaps not always the way we think it will. I will continue to work hard at Pele Prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment