PELE INKLINGS

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

For the Love of Color

Moses Harris, The Natural System of Colours (1769-1776)

We don't shy away from color here at Pele Prints. When I look through our flat files or see our collaborations on the wall at a fair, I'm reminded firsthand that color is such an important element for me as a printer. Each project provides a different opportunity to explore the richness of color. As a collaborative printer, I'm often making color choices right alongside the artist. My own "color voice" combined with that of each of the Pele artists, acts as a thread that runs through the work in the studio.

Often, it helps to have inspiration when putting together color combos. For me, inspiration comes from the world around me and from the various tools at my disposal. Living in St. Louis, all four seasons in nature are a constant reminder of how colors can work and play together. The plethora of budding greens in Spring, the bright shades of the sun reflecting off the clouds in Summer, the harmony of color in the falling leaves of Autumn, and the calming subtle greys, whites, and browns of Winter. I'm also drawn to fabrics for bold color ideas. Indian saris and Indonesian batiks shine with saturated colors and beautiful jewel tones.



When I'm working with color and I get stuck, there are a couple of tools I go to for help. One is my trusty Pantone color bridge. Don't make art without it. The other is the Colour Lovers website, "a creative community where people from around the world create and share colors, palettes, and patterns." Whatever works to inspire...stay colorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment