PELE INKLINGS

Monday, October 24, 2016

Feather Fondness

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not too fond of birds. Between the pooping on everything, the weird dinosaur connection, and the territorial mockingbirds attacking my sweet dog in the yard, birds are not my favorite of creatures. But feathers...that's a different story.

Feathers are incredible and beautiful. The science behind feathers is fascinating. They are integral to the flight of birds, adapting and adjusting "on the fly." Their color provides some of the most beautiful palettes in nature. The various hues can protect the bird from predators, ward off bacteria, help to attract a mate, and even regulate hormones. Whenever the lines of form and function merge so wonderfully, I'm intrigued.

Bird of Paradise, photo by Robert Clark

Quetzal, photo by Robert Clark

Lyre Bird, photo by Robert Clark

Golden Breasted Starling, photo by Robert Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment