PELE INKLINGS

Monday, October 10, 2016

Goals = Opportunities

Sometimes your life gets turned upside-down. It's not always our choice, but we can choose how we react to the upheaval. I choose to focus on the goals and opportunities surrounding the changes in my life. As part of this, I've been thinking a lot about my business: where I want it go, how I want it to grow, and what I want to create. There are so many great resources out there to help with this...and it's time to revisit some of my favorites as I think about my goals for Pele.

As a reader, one of my go-to resources is (of course) a book. Years ago, my friend and teacher gave me an incredible book, Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. I consider this a must read for all women in business. She faces the issues of women in the workplace head on, acknowledging all of the factors of education, patriarchy, family, feminism, leadership, and goal setting. It's encouraging to read a successful woman's take on issues that so many women face throughout their work life.


Grace Bonney from Design Sponge is one of my favorite inspirational business women. As part of her 100 episode podcast series, After the Jump, she tackled the topic of "The 12 Things I Wish I'd Known When I started My Business." Starting off, Grace says that she's inspired by her mistakes and things that have gone wrong. They truly are learning opportunities. As I look at my goals for the studio, it helps to be reminded of some of her tidbits of knowledge:
  • Ask for what you want
  • Dream big
  • Trust your gut
  • Learn to say no
  • Be proud and promote
  • Embrace change

Another great goal-oriented business tool I've found helpful is a model by Charlie Gilkey for The 3 Goals of Any Business Activity. He points out that any business activity should fall into at least one of three categories: generating cash flow, generating opportunities, and generating visibility. "As a quick hint, if it’s not clear how an activity in your business leads to one of the goals above, it’s time to determine whether you should continue to do that activity." So true.

As I look at what I've created at Pele and what my goals are for the future, I'm always aware that it takes a village. I'm so thankful to the people who help me reach my goals and bring out the best in me. Mom, Maryanne, Dad, Gary, all of the great Pele artists, and so many more...I couldn't do this without you! Let's do this.



No comments:

Post a Comment