PELE INKLINGS

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Art of Video Games

I've played video games most of my life. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. But they are always there, and they have become a major part of our modern culture as a whole. When I play video games, I can't help but to be drawn to the visuals. In 2012, the Smithsonian Institute curated an exhibition called The Art of Video Games, which celebrated 40 years of video game art. It truly is an art form, one to be appreciated like any other. Thinking about what I consider some of the best video games from a visual perspective, I have four standouts that come to mind today.


Fun – Loco Roco

Loco Roco is all about being a kid. The colors and simple shapes interact and move in ways that just make you smile. Everything about it playful and fun.




Beautiful – flOw

This game is mesmerizingly beautiful and simple to learn. Plus the amoeba-like creatures are right up my alley at the intersection of art and science. The game was designed by Jenova Chen and Nicholas Clark, and it was created as part of Jenova's MFA thesis.




Abstract – Dots

2Modern got it right when they said that Dots is a game that Damien Hirst could endorse (and other artists as well, I'm sure!). Just as the name implies, this app puzzle game consists of simple dots that the player connects.




Realist – BioShock

I'm usually not a fan of first person shooters, but the BioShock series has been great from the beginning. In this pseudo-realist world, intense story lines and apropos themes make for an addictive and visually stunning game.



1 comment: